Saturday, January 19, 2013

Origami Cranes Tree

Mum and I bought a new Christmas tree from Bed, Bath and Table's The Works in Burwood Road, Hawthorn last year, which we have decided should be a year long decorative feature. I plan to have a Chinese New Year tree which I already have the decorations for, and since the Year of the Snake starts on the 10th of February (check out this fantastic YouTube video), I needed an in between (Christmas and Chinese New Year) set of decorations.


I have a glass vase filled with origami paper cranes which I folded a few years ago, so I looped gold thread into the cranes and now have18 cranes hanging from the tree. Instructions can be found at Origami Club which is filled with free patterns. According to Chinese (and Japanese) folklore, cranes symbolise longevity as they are believed to live a thousand years. It also represents happiness, good luck and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment