Sunday, March 25, 2012

Peggy Porschen's Sugar Cookies


I made sugar cookies from Peggy Porschen's "Favourite Cakes and Cookies" cookbook on Saturday and I got to used the paddle attachment on the KitchenAid so I was pretty excited. Hey, don't tease, it's about finding pleasure in everyday things...

To make the cookies, cream 200g of butter with 200g of caster sugar with zest of a lemon (optional). Add 1 egg and 400g of plain flour and mix until just combined. Wrap the dough in cling wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour. Roll out dough and cut out pretty shapes - I use daisy and butterfly cutters. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before popping them in the oven (at 170*C) for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. The cookies are yummy on its own but the fun bit is decorating them!



I've been keen to use royal icing to decorate biscuits but didn't like the idea of using raw egg whites to make the icing. I found a recipe that called for powdered egg white but it was rather dear when I found a small tub at Essential Ingredients. Since it was my first attempt I settled on Queen's Royal Icing which you mix with water.
Even though I followed the instructions on the pack, it was a bit tricky getting the consistency right because this is what happens when you don't add enough water...

...and this is what happens when you add too much water! Errr, of course I did this for demonstrative purposes only!

This is what happens when you get the consistency right!

No comments:

Post a Comment