Monday, March 19, 2012

Hummingbird Bakery Angel Food Cake


Attention, attention! I've finally found a cake recipe that doesn't use butter or oil (aside from the cholesterol lowering spread that I greased the tin with)! The Angel Food Cake from Hummingbird Bakery's Cake Days contains 10 egg whites (not sure what to do with the 10 egg yokes) cream of tartar, icing sugar, plain flour, vanilla extract, almond essence and lemon zest.


I love our KitchenAid mixer as the egg whites were beaten into soft peaks in no time. I couldn't wait to try a piece (as you can see I've already taken a few bites before I took the photo below). The cake was springy with a hint of vanilla and lemon (couldn't taste the almond I'm afraid) and it was a little dry - but this is having your cake and eating too!


No comments:

Post a Comment