Saturday, August 6, 2011

Butter Chicken Puffs

Mum and I made butter chicken puffs from the new Womens' Weekly Pies Savoury and Sweet cookbook we bought on Saturday morning. It was the first time we bought Patak's Butter Chicken paste and it sure was yummy (though a little sweet).

The recipe requires: 20g butter (but we used olive oil instead so I guess our butter chicken wasn't that buttery); 1 small brown onion; 250 grams of mince chicken, 1 small carrot grated; 2 tablespoons of butter chicken curry paste; 2 tablespoons of frozen peas; puff pastry and 1 egg.


Cook the filling by adding the butter (or oil), onion, mince chicken, carrot, curry paste and frozen peas. Cut the puff pastry into 11cm circles (I had to chuckle as I was using a Chinese bowl to cut French pastry to make an Indian style dish!).

Add about 1 tablespoon of filling to the pastry, fold the pasty in half making a crescent and use a fork to seal the crescent. I used my new silicon pastry brush (pink of course!) to apply the egg wash. Use a pair of scissors to make 3 snips to the pastry.


Pop the puffs into the oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. How do you like my new piggy kitchen timer? Why do I need 8 timers (there is one on the fridge too)? Wellll... I sometimes have a couple of different things baking in the oven that requires two cooking times...but I guess that only justifies 2 timers right?


We ended up making 16 puffs rather than 12, but that just means more butter chicken puffs to go around. Besides Mum and I always do a "taste test" before we serve them to Dad, so officially we did make 12!

No comments:

Post a Comment